Bridgewater was a well named town even before any bridges were built. Records show that in 1879, Selectman Bradford Chase stated that there were seventy three bridges over ten feet across which required a total of 88,165 feet of plank.
These bridges were built covered to protect the floor of the bridge from the effects of the weather. When the winter snow arrived and wagon wheels had to be changed to runners, it was then necessary to pay someone to “snow” the bridges for easy passage.
Click here to read our Stories